Drinking Too Much Water: Water Poisoning

water poisoning, drinking too much water, water intoxication, What happens if you drink too much water

Drinking water clears toxins in the kidneys. It ensures the regular functioning of the kidneys. However, drinking too much water a.k.a water intoxication might exhaust the kidneys. Especially kidney patients should not consume too much water. According to some experts, there are also researches that water is not good for kidney patients.

What happens if you drink too much water?

If you drink too much water, you might experience the following:

  • Impairment of sleep quality
  • Kidney damage
  • Headache
  • Water poisoning
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive sweating
  • Swelling in the body, especially in the hands, feet, and lips. Unconsciousness, coma, and even death

Drinking too much water and water poisoning

Water poisoning occurs due to drinking too much water in a short period of time. Under normal conditions, the kidneys drain excess water, but if you drink too much water, the excessive amount of fluid may be too much for your kidneys.

Symptoms of water poisoning may go unnoticed. Confusion, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting are also symptoms of water poisoning.

How much water is too much?

We talked about How Much Water Should You Drink A Day?

According to a study at Mayo Clinic, more than 2.7 liters for women and more than 3.7 liters for men is the average amount that should be consumed in a day.

Conclusion

Although drinking water has many benefits, as with everything, drinking too much water might cause harm.